Monday, January 5, 2009

trust and faith in each other

I was thinking tonight. As I was waiting for my wife to fall asleep, so I could then snuggle in and not wake her or keep her from sleeping via my snoring. Frequently in the LDS faith we refer to a husband and wife as being in a relationship triangle with diety, and how to grow closer to one in an eternal sense you must also grow closer to the other. It dawned on me, that the type of growth is across "all the fields" if you will.

Faith in Christ leads to salvation, as it's your faith in Him that leads to your acting upon your beliefs, knowledge, and faith. How can a person possibly grow closer to God in their faith without also increasing in their faith in their eternal companion.

When I first was married I wasn't able, capable, of allowing my wife to take care of our finances. I was so afraid she'd flub it up. Well, eventually I allowed her to (she was really persistent), and the first time she missed paying a bill I flipped my lid. :( I thought it was a sign of how right I was, and how dare I allow someone else to manage my finances, I was the one making All the money.

Well, she still takes care of our finances, and in the past year she's not missed a bill, we've missed some pre-pays (paying a week or so early, allowing you to not pay the extra required to electronically pay some bills the day or three days prior to their due date...) but since then we've not missed one bill. She's done very good. So good in fact, that for a while there we were a month and a half ahead of our bills. In the time we'd been married I'd never had us more than a week or two ahead, but somehow with No accounting experience, no budgeting practice and had not only figured out how to pay everything, but also how to get ahead of our bills enough so when she lost her job at the start of december she had us taken care of through nearly the end of january. With my (now very minimal, she became the bread winner as I started last term and went to a part-time job) income we're still able to get food, and take care of our personal needs. On top of that all, we were able to get some food-storage put together while she was managing our finances, allowing us to focus our money on fresh produce and using our food-storage along with it.

I'll be the first to admit (though you can likely tell from what I've said so far) that I had much less faith in her in the beginning than I should have. Having had no experience with what her abilities could be it was difficult to have faith in that aspect. Now, I see her wonderous possibilities and know that with her our finances will always be secure, I don't need to worry when she's in charge of them.

Now our faith is being challenged again as she's trying to find a job. Some times it seems that frustration and despair frequently knock on our door, begging us to let them in. In my heart, I see, and feel, know..., that we will be taken care of, that there's something in store, but the time isn't right for the other party yet, though it will be, soon.

There is nothing that a person can't do, if they believe in themself, and surround themself with persons who believe in them as well.

1 comment:

AliceAnn said...

Amazing is it not? We marry someone who have similar interests and desires and totally miss that they have similar abilities and strengths! Who'd a thought?!