Sunday, January 4, 2009

Memories

I have a song stuck in my head. It goes by the tune "Oh my darlin" (you know, oh my darlin oh my darlin of my darlin clementine...oh course why someone wrote a song about a fruit seems a bit nutty to me). The song is something I believe is from the Girlscouts, it's "Found a peanut". Ok, I should say both songs have been stuck in my head and as the verses play inside my mind they switch from being about a fruit to being about the peanut. It's kinda funny some times how it ends up being a love song to a rotten peanut.

When I was little my family was planning a long trip, I think it was a roadtrip to Disneyland. In our preparations for this trip my mom had us come up with something that we could do while we were on the drive, so as to not go completely insane. Well, as it would turn out one of the things we decided to do was to write extra verses to "found a peanut". It was marvelous by the time we were done. It must have had an extra ten verses when we were finished, or maybe we'd gotten it so that it now had ten verses, either way it was much longer than it had been previously.

I seem to remember that we completely forgot the papers that had the words to the song, some time down the road it was brought up, and we didn't have them. Perhaps it was mom knowing that she would go insane if she had to hear it one more time, or maybe she was thinking of dad knowing he would go insane while we were singing it, there's always the chance that it was completely forgotten by accident by everyone as well. Either way I don't recall us having the words we'd written, though I think we may have tried to sing it anyway, at least once.

There was something about it. Not so much when we were singing it in the car, but when we were putting it together at home, working together on the words, trying to keep it funny and yet prolong the song for greater duration than it's original verse(s) allowed, there was something about doing all that that made it a fun memory, it's something I enjoy having stuck in my head. For as much as I usually don't enjoy having songs stuck in my head, the associations with this one make it enjoyable.

1 comment:

Janele Williams said...

I had forgotten about that. I'm sure we drove Dad absolutely crazy with that song.