Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Directional

I've been working on scholarships lately, I've found it to be a very challenging, and some times persevering in it becomes very difficult. I received on of my letters of recommendation from a previous instructor, though she's probably photographically had one of the largest influences on me and how I show my work in the past 3 years. Reading it I wanted to cry, she touched on things that were struggles for me and how my working on my projects helped build up the class, and it really touched me in a way I didn't expect it to. I think one of the reasons why it's daunting to me to apply for scholarships is that it pits me against the rest of the nation's students and I'm efforting to show how I'm the better candidate. In reality that's a challenge for me where I've not felt that way as my art/photography I feel has struggled due to working full time and being a full time student. Thinking about it though, in the real world, in my professional life I'm going to be pitted against other equally hopeful candidates and vying to win the job that will be paying for my life and family. All of a sudden I don't feel so bad putting myself into competition to other people for money for school, as the competition for work begins with the competitive edge in school, trying to be the best for your position in school prepares a person to be the best for a position professionally. They're both rooted in the same principles.

No comments: